Laundry Room

For Christmas, my dad got Luke and I cabinetry for our laundry room. As you can see, the room was a blank slate and had zero storage.Screenshot_20170613-202525

Unfortunately, I didn’t take any photos along the way. However, I do have links to all the techniques and photos I used for inspiration.

I knew I wanted to so something more than just hanging the cabinets and didn’t want to just paint. So I did what I love to do and got on Pinterest and looked for inspiration. Then it hit me!!!! A pallet wall! The area is small it wouldn’t take a huge amount of wood and most importunately it would make a dramatic statement.

I particularly liked the look of the photo on the top because of the touch of color. I read countless tutorials and finally decided to use this one as my main source. That being said, we mostly just winged it and experimented.  I had several different types of stain, used white ceiling paint that we had, and spent about $3 on a tester sample of Valspar’s Beach Breeze.a1d6789ccd418a369772b4bc76d8cca8

In order to create this look I first had to get the pallets. My dad is amazing, not only did he get us several pallets but he also broke them down and organized them by thickness. At this point, I could have sanded them down to give a smoother more polished look. I really didn’t care to have a smooth perfect look and wasn’t worried about people getting splinters considering it was going to be above the washed and dryer. IMG_2807_thumbNow that I had my pallets, stain, and paint, I set up my work station, which consisted of:download

  • 1 4′ folding table that raises counter top height
  • An old shower curtain liner (used as a cover for the table)
  • Disposable latex gloves
  • Rags (I probably used 10)
  • Medium sized paint brushes (3)
  • Disposable cup (SOLO)

Getting all the wood prepped was a two night process. The first night. I stained.  I opened all 9 cans of stain and used all of them at one point or another. I really liked how the dark stain looked mixed classic gray. My favorite dark stain color is Jacobean with a touch of ebony. A stained about 75% of the wood and got tired so decided that was probably a good stopping point. Some of the wood was pine and some was oak so nothing took the stain exactly the same way.

87609005_XSOn day two I started by painting several of the boards solid white, then going over it with a wet or dry rag to wipe off the excess.  I didn’t want very many solid white boards. After that, I took the rag, still wet with paint, and wiped it over stained boards. Eventually I had to get more white paint but it lasted a long time on its own.  If any part of the wood got too concentrated I would simply wet the rag and distribute it more evenly.

To get the turquoise look, I took inspiration from Lovely Crafty Home.  I winged it 9f8f84a22626ba08bce50ecdc6fdcd87and simply took the paint on the rag with a little water and spread it all around on the wood. I loved the result and just kept doing that with different levels of color intensity.

After everything  dried, I took the wood and laid it out on the dining room table to get the color sequence.  Now comes the part were I really wish I had photos. On installation day we first hung the cabinet…… and by we I mean Luke and my dad. After the cabinet was up we started at the top of the wall and worked our way down. The idea was to have to make one cut per row. This actually worked very well because the shorter pieces cut off at the beginning were great to fill in and add shorter pieces throughout the wall. This whole process went relatively quickly and was only two hours from start to finish. Oh, and we also added a small shelf since the way the dryer vent is makes everything stick out 6 inches. Here is the finished product right after installation.IMG_20170128_143325_212

I’m not going to lie, I was obsessed with this room and for at least a week would just go stand and lookafed2d2a21ac06aeda707a3e3e9bf80c at the wall.  One of the first things I ordered to add to the room was adorable clothespin cabinet pulls.

We decided not to add a pole for clothes since it was going to be way too high for me to reach. I was planning on going without one, but found the perfect rustic looking  pull-out drying rack at Hobby Lobby.unnamed (5)

The final piece for the laundry room was making a decorative sign that would work as a hanger holder.  I found this on Pinterest via Etsy and knew I wanted to make my own.

4c8d0d4e68ae305f48a6cca8fe07ebfc

The Original

unnamed (2)

The Remix

Making this was very simple and I followed the same steps I do to make all my signs. I’ll have a post up soon detailing the steps for making the signs.

unnamed (4)

Final look of the laundry room

Thanks for checking out the post, it you have any question about the process just let me know.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s